With the growing prevalence of mental health problems in children and young people, Holyrood Insight’s Mentally Healthy Schools Scotland Conference will be a timely opportunity to discuss the next steps for improving mental health in schools across Scotland.
Amidst ongoing challenges following the pandemic, building pupil emotional resilience and supporting their recovery is crucial. You’ll hear from education leaders and best practice settings on the current issues facing schools, including:
- Tackling stigma and creating safe spaces to talk about mental health
- Equipping staff with the skills needed to support pupils
- How to identify young people at risk
- Collaborative working to improve outcomes for pupils
From professional development and supporting staff to manage their own mental health, to embedding health and wellbeing in teaching practices, we will explore how to adopt a holistic whole school approach to mental health and wellbeing.
With recent research showing that 25% of children referred to CAMHS are suicidal and against the backdrop of the Scottish Government’s Suicide Prevention Strategy, you will hear how to develop clear support pathways for young people who are suicidal*. Learn how to strengthen your safeguarding procedures to best support those at risk.
What does effective collaborative working look like? Join us to strengthen your approach to multi-agency working with key partners, including CAMHS and the voluntary sector. Understand how to implement the GIRFEC principles in practice to improve outcomes for young people in your setting.
Join us in Central Edinburgh for this full-day, interactive conference, for the opportunity to learn from sector leaders, ask questions in a safe space, and network with peers from across Scotland.
*BBC News, September 2022
- Tackling deep-rooted discrimination and stigma surrounding mental health
- Prevention and early intervention: understanding how to identify young people at risk
- Adopting a whole school approach to mental health and wellbeing
- Strengthening safeguarding procedures for suicidal young people
- Discussing opportunities to provide digital mental health support
The conference will be held in Central Edinburgh and the venue will be announced shortly. Attend this full-day event in person to network, build relationships and learn from your peers.